Thursday, February 22, 2018

It's a miracle!

February 22nd. This date is significant for a couple different reasons.

On a personal level, today would have been my parents' 54th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately my dad passed away at a very young age 28 years ago. God had a different plan for my parents. It's strange to think about what my dad would be like today in his mid 70's.

On a broader note... today is the 38th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. The day the United States defeated the USSR in hockey at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics. To this day it remains one of the biggest upsets in sports history. There has never been a more David and Goliath story in the sports world. I remember where I was when it happened. I was spending the night with my grandparents because my parents were out celebrating their 16th wedding anniversary. I remember being in the family room in the back of their house and watching the small TV in the corner of the room. It's funny how something that happened so long ago can stick out in a guy's memory. I was just barely 13 years old when it happened, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Do you believe in Miracles? The 1980 men's hockey team sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment