Wednesday, February 14, 2018

You haven't lived!

You haven't lived until you've spent Valentine's Day at an elementary school full of overly excited children. Today marks my 28th Valentine's Day at St. Bernard Elementary. Valentine's Day is one of my least favorite days of the school year. I feel this way for several reasons. First, the students come armed to the teeth with decorated boxes, Valentine cards, cookies, candy, and everything else heart-shaped. They don't have their homework, mind you, but they have Valentine paraphernalia galore! Funny how the students can remember to bring all their Valentine stuff, but somehow homework slipped their minds. Second, the kids are so excited about the Valentine party (which only encompasses the last 30 minutes of the day), that they can't focus on anything else. It truly ends up being a waste of a school day. Third, it's centered around a made up holiday (You know, a Hallmark holiday). Lastly, this so-called holiday is all about love and romance. What do 4th graders know about love and romance? Nothing... and I hope to keep it that way.

On a brighter note, this is the first time in Abby's life that she's had a real Valentine (at least one not named Daddy). I'm so happy Abby has Thomas as her Valentine now. I've been her Valentine for 20 years. Now it's Thomas's turn, but I will always be her FIRST Valentine.

Today I'm also thankful for MY Valentine. My wonderful wife has been my Valentine for 28 years. I wouldn't have it any other way. Happy Valentine's Day, Honey!

Happy Valentine's Day, loyal blog readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment