Tuesday, October 9, 2018

24 years

On October 20th, 1993, my son, Michael was born. It was a happy occasion in its own right, but it was a little extra happy because I knew how important it was to my grandpa Meyer that the family name be carried on. Obviously a male Meyer child was the only way that could happen. When the doctor told me our new baby was a boy, I sobbed for all the usual happy reasons. However I also knew some of those tears were because my grandpa would be so happy to know the family name would live on for another generation.

The first few months of Michael's life were very special. He was the first great grandchild for my grandparents. Simply put, Michael was the golden boy. During the winter and spring of 1993-1994, my grandpa's health began to deteriorate. By the summer of 94 he was in and out of the hospital a lot. As summer ended and fall approached things got really bad for grandpa. In September, things were looking bleak, and grandpa told grandma, "I don't care how sick I am, I am GOING to little Michael's first birthday party". Well, grandpa didn't make it. Grandpa passed away on October 9th, 1994 just eleven days before Michael's first birthday. I was so sad that grandpa didn't live to see Michael turn 1, but also happy that he wouldn't be suffering anymore.

24 years ago today my grandpa Meyer died and I really miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment