Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How's that again?

In my 23 year teaching career, I have had every conceivable type of student. One type is hearing impaired/deaf students. Unfortunately for me, this has given me some of my more embarrassing moments in the classroom. These students usually have a sign language interpreter and an FM system to assist them. I wear a transmitter/microphone and the student either has a portable receiver that sits on his/her desk or a receiving device in his/her ear. Either way, you get so used to having the interpreter in the room or wearing the microphone you forget all about them.

In one instance about 20 years ago, the interpreter did something to help me in the classroom. Eager to show off how much sign language I had picked up, I put my hand under my chin and flung it forward. The interpreter got a funny look on her face and asked if I knew what I had signed. I said, "Yes. I signed thank you". She said that I had not signed "Thank You", but something else that ends in "you". You know, probably the worst thing one person could ever say to another. Anyway, she laughed and said to sign the words "Thank You", my hand should come from the front of my chin and NOT under it. You better believe I never, ever made that mistake again. Why do the signs for thank you and (blank) you have to be so similar?

Another time with a different student and a different interpreter, I again attempted to show off my sign language skills. I don't remember what I was trying to say, but I do know the interpreter was appalled when I mistakenly signed something that represented a sexual act. She corrected me real quick on that one. I decided then and there to leave the sign language to the professionals.

Yet another time, with the same student and same interpreter, I took a restroom break. That's one nice thing about having an interpreter in the room... the luxury of taking a quick break while another adult holds the fort. Anyway, forgetting I had the microphone around my neck, I went to the restroom. When I returned, the hearing impaired student pointed at me and said, "I HEARD YOU!" I was completely embarrassed! I had no idea those things could transmit that far! Thank goodness it was a very short break and not an extended one (if you know what I mean).

This year I have 2 hearing impaired students, but I have yet to commit any major blunders. But don't worry... the year is young. I'm sure I will. And when I do... you all will be the first to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment