Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My heart on my sleeve

Tami says I can never hide my feelings because I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm guilty as charged. Nobody knows me better than my wife. I don't often try to hide my feelings, but when I do, I am lousy at it.

I have made no secret of my dislike for the fall season. I will not ramble on about it. I have stated my reasons very clearly in the past. I've heard all the arguments before. "Don't you just love the color of the changing leaves?" Yes, but they fall off quickly and lead to dead looking, bare trees. "Don't you enjoy the crisp autumn air?" No. Sweatshirts and jeans are binding and bulky. Give me a t-shirt and shorts any day. "Don't you love Halloween, pumpkins and all the harvest stuff?" No, I don't! The list could go on and on.

I recently read a blog post from a local sports writer and discovered I am not the only one who feels this way. Finally! Here's a brief snippet:


I dislike fall, because I know what’s coming. I dont like shorter days. I dont like the weak, half-light of the sun in the fall. It’s portentous and depressing. My mom died in the fall. Everything dies in the fall.


Exactly! I always knew there was something different about autumn daylight. I could never accurately describe it. This guy nailed it! I had loved ones die in the fall too.

And for the record, there's only one thing I dislike more than fall... Winter. But that's a blog post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment