Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A solemn day

I don't think I have to remind anyone what tomorrow is. September 11th, 2001 was a dark, grim day in our nation's history. It was a day of unspeakable horrors. A day like we hadn't seen since Pearl Harbor and one we haven't seen since.

Like any American who is old enough to remember, I know exactly where I was when I heard what was unfolding in New York, D.C. and the skies over the eastern U.S. I was in my classroom and someone came to my door and asked if I'd heard what has happening. I indicated that I hadn't and was shocked when I heard the terrible news. As a Social Studies teacher, I wrestled with the decision of whether to switch the TV on or not. Obviously not knowing just how bad things were (at that point, nobody did), I decided to turn on the TV and have my students witness history. As the morning progressed, I was terribly saddened by what was happening. When the twin towers fell, I was sickened at what we had just witnessed. What had I done? I had just exposed 11 year old children to the most horrific event in any of our lifetimes. I had no idea the day was going to turn out like that and at that point it was too late. To this very day, I second guess my decision on that fateful day. Did I traumatize these children or did they get to witness on live television the most significant event in our nation since 1941? I still don't know. I don't think I'll ever know for sure. I have gone back and forth for the last 12 years.

Tomorrow in my classroom we will observe the solemness of the day and offer due respect to our nation. Unlike the day of the actual attack, I will be in control of what my students see and hear. We will cover basics, but will avoid the more graphic details of the day.

God was with us on that day and He still is. May God Bless America!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment