Friday, September 27, 2013

Offensive?

There is a lot of talk these days about team names and mascots that are considered offensive. This is not surprising in the age of political correctness. Many people these days are hypersensitive to being offensive or being offended. When did Americans become so thin skinned? At the heart of the controversy is the Washington Redskins football team. Apparently Native Americans are offended by the name. Defenders of the team name say it is not intended as a put down, but an honor. Native Americans were fierce warriors known for their bravery and resolve. Listen folks, I'm no expert and because I'm not a Native American, I have no right to say if the Native American community should have a problem with the name Redskins. All I know is I am of German descent and if some football team was named "The Krauts", I don't think I would be offended. It's not a very flattering name, but it hardly bothers me.

At the moment, the owner of the Washington Redskins has no intention of changing the name despite tremendous pressure from Native Americans, advocacy groups and even some high ranking politicians. To be honest, it wouldn't bother me either way. Change it or don't change it... whatever. Others have caved to pressure and changed team names. Miami University used to be called the Redskins, but changed to the Red Hawks. Good for them, I suppose. I'm guessing somewhere in history there was a Native American named Red Hawk. I wonder if he's offended? Honestly, I'd be be honored if some college named their football team the "Mick Meyers". I'd root for them every week!

Seriously though... I'm not into name calling and hurting the feelings of others. If Redskins is offensive... it's offensive.

The Cincinnati Bengals play the Cleveland Browns this week. I hope the Bengals stomp 'em! In light of this weekend's game, I give you the following:

Bob: The name Cleveland Indians is offensive. It should be changed.

Joe: By golly, Bob, you're right! I agree. We should call them the Ohio Indians instead.

Hahahahaha! Gotcha Cleveland! You really are the Mistake on the Lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment