Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Angry Children Part 2

Dealing with angry children. Case in point... here's what happened this morning. In an attempt to be that friendly face, I attempted to have a conversation with a student who is in the band (the band practices in the mornings before school). I noticed he was arriving to class when he should have been at band rehearsal. In an attempt to engage in conversation, I pleasantly asked if he was in the band (knowing full well he is). No response... just a scowl. Then I asked nicely why he wasn't at rehearsal. Again, no response and a deeper scowl. Then I switched gears and simply asked, "So, what instrument do you play, trumpet?". At this point the child screamed at me, "NO!!!!!!!!". Well, okay then. Good morning to you too, sweetie! UGH! Ask a simple question, get screamed at in return.

Can you imagine screaming at your teacher? For any reason? Ever? This is what I deal with every day. What causes a child to believe it is acceptable to scream at a teacher, to scream at any adult, or at anybody????? I try to be nice. I really do. I try to be patient and understanding, but being screamed at by an 11 year old is tough to take. And this isn't an isolated case. Unfortunately this is the norm.

How well would you function at work if you attempted to exchange pleasantries with someone and all they did was scream at you? How long would you remain employed if you exhibited that type of behavior? You know as well as I do... not long at all. You'd be tossed out on your rear end before you knew what hit you. So I feel I must ask this question... why must we accept this behavior from children in schools? In public schools we don't have the option of throwing kids out (unlike being able to fire someone from a job). I ask the question in all sincerity, but honestly do not know the answer. I do know this though... the days of people taking responsibility for their own actions are all but gone. It's always somebody else's fault.

This is not so much a gripe as it is an observation of what our schools have become. I think many people know things in schools can be challenging. I just think they don't know HOW bad things have become.

As I stated yesterday, I will keep plugging away, keep on top of these kids and do the best I can every day. As tough as things are, I will not give up. The kids or their parents might quit, but I won't.

I am posting the following video from some unknown high school. I am not claiming my school is like THIS, but I just want to show an example of angry children in schools. Yes, this is an extreme example, but I'm posting it for shock value (and to validate my point of angry kids in schools). Children will hurt each other and some will have no remorse. Sorry for the serious posts the last few days, but this is my reality sometimes.

Click the link to view the video. Please be forewarned... it is violent and shocking. View at your own risk. Parental discretion is advised.

http://www.700wlw.com/articles/national-news-104668/shock-video-student-gets-slammed-in-11661296/

No comments:

Post a Comment