Thursday, December 1, 2016

The War on Christmas

First a war on the American flag, and now a war on Christmas. And this time the fight hits close to home. A group that calls themselves The Freedom From Religion Foundation has sent a letter to the village of St. Bernard insisting they remove the Nativity Scene from the property of the town hall. This display has been a yearly tradition in St. Bernard since long before I was born. I'm sure there will be numerous posts on this blog in the future about the war on Christmas, but for now I will just say how sad this makes me. Here's the news story as it appeared on Local 12 last night.

SAINT BERNARD, Ohio (WKRC) - For decades, the village of St. Bernard has setup a nativity scene in front of the village hall.

But a religious freedom watchdog group says the nativity scene is unconstitutional and should be removed. The Freedom From Religion Foundation based in Madison, Wisconsin sent a letter to the village Wednesday, November 30, listing U.S. Supreme Court cases that have found nativity scenes displayed on government property are unconstitutional.

Here's a thought... How about we focus on the big problems facing this nation, and not worry about Christmas displays? Does the Nativity scene offend you? Don't look at it. Move along. Get on with your life. And by the way... Christmas is a religious holiday. In fact, the word "holiday" means "Holy Day". It celebrates the birth of Christ, hence the name CHRISTmas. My guess is the folks at The Freedom From Religion Foundation have no problem taking time off work for Christmas. If the holiday and idea of Christmas is so offensive, they should go to work on Christmas. However, I doubt they'll do that. They'll reap the benefits of a national holiday that they are so dead set against and are willing to protest and stir up trouble for. You really can't have it both ways. I am not Jewish and I am not offended by the display of the Star of David. I do not take off work on the Jewish holidays of Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, or Hanukkah. The Jewish people can have their holidays and I won't protest their right to celebrate them. And for the record... If Jewish people want to display a menorah next to the nativity scene, I have zero issues with that. If a group of African-Americans wants to have a Kwanzaa display next to the nativity scene, I have no problem with that either.

Here's my final message to The Freedom From Religion Foundation--- Leave Christmas alone! Christmas displays are not offensive and they are not hurting anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment