Thursday, April 5, 2012

And this one belongs to the Reds!

Marty Brennaman has been the Reds radio announcer since 1974. In other words, he's been calling Reds games since I was old enough to listen. His signature line when the Reds win is, "AND THIS ONE BELONGS TO THE REDS!". Today, I got to hear that famous phrase. The Reds won their opener 4-0.

As much as I love baseball, I rarely watch or listen to an entire game. I may tune in for a few innings, but after that, life beckons and I am off doing other things. Today was different. I sat and watched the entire game. I muted the TV and tuned into the Reds Radio Network (700 WLW) to hear Marty call the game. Lots of folks do this. Nothing personal against the Reds TV announcers, but there's something special about listening to Marty. Hearing his voice on a warm summer night has a very soothing affect on me. There are few things I love more than sitting on my deck at dusk, watching the sunset, listening to Marty call the Reds game as I sip iced tea mixed with lemonade. Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best. I don't need an iPhone or video games. Just the Reds on radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment