Sunday, April 1, 2012

Got the first one under my belt

I taught my first Sunday School lesson today. I had the PLEASURE of teaching Exodus 15-17 to six attentive and interested (I think) 5th and 6th graders. It was a strange feeling to speak and to actually have children listening and actively engaging in the material I was presenting. It was also a strange sensation to feel respected. Now I know what teachers in affluent schools must feel like. When teaching today, I didn't feel like I was swimming against the current and literally fighting to be heard. I felt like the lesson flowed and had a good rhythm to it. I am relatively certain it's because I wasn't interrupted every 10 seconds. I got a taste today of what real teaching is all about. I am truly not exaggerating when I describe my public school students.

Just in case you're wondering, Exodus 15-17 is when Moses and the Israelites left the bondage of Egypt and had just passed through the Red Sea... then wandered in the desert for 40 years. God tested the Israelites and each time they failed miserably. When hungry or thirsty, they would grumble to Moses and in turn God would perform miracles to provide for their needs. But the Israelites would quickly forget what God did and did not trust God even though he showed them His power over and over. This is not at all unlike most of us today.

I was encouraged today and I'm eager for my next lesson. I hope the kids are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment