Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Redecorating- Can I have a do over?

Tami is going to paint the living room and dining room this week. She's a very good painter, so I'm not concerned about the end result. It will look great when she's done. She has decided to do something bold and asked if I trusted her judgment. I laughed and said, "Yes". It may seem odd that I laughed, but there is a story behind it. More on that in a minute. The bold decorating technique she is going to use is three broad, horizontal stripes. Three different shades of the same color. The darkest on the bottom and getting lighter as you go up. The differences in shade are very subtle. Apparently it draws the eyes up. Why that's important, I haven't a clue. I have zero talent for interior decorating, so I will bow to someone who knows more about it than me. Now for the reason I laughed when asked if I trusted her. One of our biggest fights in nearly 21 years of marriage came as a result of interior decorating and Tami painting a room. About 15 years ago when we lived in Finneytown, Tami declared she was going to paint the living room. She asked if I had a color preference. I said something to the effect of, "It doesn't really matter to me, I trust your judgement, Honey". You can probably guess where this is going. While I was at work Tami picked out some light blue paint and finished the job in short order. I arrived home eager to see the newly painted living room. In short... It was AWFUL! U-G-L-Y... Ugly! A smart husband would have kept his trap shut. Did I? Nooooooo way! My negative reaction was not received well (and rightly so). I said the color didn't matter, so what right did I have to criticize? Absolutely no right at all. We had one of our worst blow outs over that one and I was in the wrong. Thankfully I've gotten a lot smarter in the last 15 years :-) The funny part is... in the end, Tami decided she didn't like the color either. She chose a different color and it was gorgeous. It stayed that way until we moved out in 2005. To my knowledge, that paint is still on those walls today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I remember that day well. I remember putting Michael in his stroller and walking. I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure we were gone for a while. I didn't know why paint was such a big deal, but I was pretty convinced it was periwinkle and not blue too. XOXO. Can't wait to see the new colors!

    ReplyDelete