Saturday, April 14, 2012

Titanic- 100 years

One of my favorite interests is maritime history. I am particularly captivated by Great Lakes shipwrecks (The Edmund Fitzgerald) and of course the queen mother of all, The Titanic. I have read countless books on the topic and watched every TV special ever made. I even purchased a small chunk of coal from the Titanic wreck site. It cost $35 and I'm sure the only value it has is sentimental. Ask me anything about the events surrounding the sinking of the Titanic and its subsequent discovery on September 11, 1985 and I can probably give you a good answer to that question. By the way, did you know the day Titanic was discovered was also the day Pete Rose broke the all time hits record in baseball? There's a fun fact that will dazzle your friends! Today, April 14, 2012, marks the 100th anniversary of the Titanic striking the iceberg. But wait, you say... I thought the Titanic sank on April 15th. That's correct. The ship struck the iceberg at 11:40 P.M. on the 14th and sank at 2:20 A.M. on the 15th. That's why you see the sinking sometimes listed as April 14th-15th, 1912. I could go on for hours about the Titanic, but you would most certainly tune out due to boredom. This is stuff that is only interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment