Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Time is funny... and it's fleeting

Every adult reading this will know what I'm talking about. Time is a funny thing and it is fleeting. When I was a child it seemed like an anticipated event took forever to arrive. Christmas, birthday, summer vacation. It felt like adults had all the fun. They got to eat whatever they wanted, stay up as late as they wanted, drive cars and tell kids what to do. All I wanted to do was hurry up and grow up. It didn't quite work out that way. Time moved so slowly. Now that I'm an adult the opposite is true. I don't want my birthday to come (but it always comes faster than it used to). I can eat whatever I want, but it makes me fat. I can stay up as late as I want, but my recliner works against me and I always fall asleep sooner than I want to. I can drive, but traffic stresses me out. Things sure have changed! Now I'm pushing 50 and my eldest child, Jessi is married (and I have a new granddaughter to boot). Michael will be graduating from high school in about 6 weeks. He is growing into a very fine young man. Abby will be a sophomore next year and is growing up sooooooooo fast! My children have grown up before my very eyes and I have no idea how it happened. How can you witness something every day and have no clue what happened? Time is fleeting and I realize more and more how precious every moment with my children is. I don't see Jessi, Barry and Sveta nearly as much as I'd like. Therefore I cherish every minute with them. Michael will be in college soon and he is rarely home anymore. I miss him already and he's not even gone yet. I'm going to blink and Abby will be off to college. That's when you'll see me standing in the middle of my quiet house wondering where everybody went. I know this is not new. Everybody with children has experienced this or will at some point. If nothing else, I've learned one thing through all this. God's plan is perfect. I often joke about being an empty nester in training. But that's exactly what's happening. I see less and less of my children all the time. Jessi lives an hour away. Michael has blossomed into a social butterfly and is always going somewhere. Abby is a typical teenager and spends as little time with mom and dad as possible. God is preparing me for a time when they will be gone and out on their own. I don't like it, but I know this is how God intended life to be. Who am I to question the plan of my omniscient, omnipotent, gracious, perfect God? Nobody, that's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment