Saturday, July 6, 2013

Areal Flooding

I cannot recall a summer with this much rain. I'd have to check meteorological records to be certain, but just going straight from memory, I would have to think this is one of the wettest summers on record. As I type this, there are flash and areal flood warnings all across the Tri-state. We were in Northern Kentucky today and came across a road that was covered with rushing water and washed out. Why were we driving rural Kentucky roads in a rainstorm? Well, we were attempting to pick up Abby who is vacationing with a friend and her family at Elk Lake in Owen County, Kentucky. They are currently stranded in their cottage. The dam is the only way in or out of the resort and the dam has been closed to traffic due to high water and safety concerns. I also saw on the news the panhandle of Florida has gotten 19 inches of rain in the last 3 days. That's unbelievable! Earlier this summer there was flooding in the Dakotas and along the east coast. It doesn't bode well for outdoor summer activities, but all this rain does have a few upsides. Everything is staying nice and green. I also haven't had to add any water to my pool this year... the rain has done it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment