Sunday, July 28, 2013

Metal Detecting Cross

People who know me well, know I love my hobby of metal detecting. Other hobbies such as golf or fishing cost money to participate in. Metal detecting is not only free, I actually make money every time I do it. Granted, digging change out of the ground isn't going to do much for my retirement fund, but it money is money. Speaking of spare change buried in the ground, I think you'd be shocked at the sheer amount of money that is actually in the ground. Show me a patch of grass and I will use my metal detector to dig money up. It blows my mind to think there is that much money in the ground, but there is. I rarely get to go metal detecting because I hardly ever have time to do it. Most of my so called spare time is usually spent doing other things. House maintenance, yard work, time with family, visiting grandchildren etc... However, even though I don't get to do it much, I still have a jar with nearly $100 in change that I have found. Found with my metal detector. One. Coin. At. A. Time!

People often ask if I've ever found anything valuable. The answer is no, not really. I did find a penny dated 1835 that is worth about $20. I have found lots of silver coins which are worth a little more than their face value (depending on the current price of silver on the market). I have found numerous silver charms, but never any gold. That day is coming though :-)

I saw an article recently that I thought was interesting. It's about a metal detecting guy (I think he's a cop) who made a cross of all the scrap metal he ever found (you didn't think coins were the only metal in the ground did you?). I won't be doing anything like this, but I thought it was neat enough to share the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment