Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Shopping part 2

A few days ago I mentioned my surprisingly fun Christmas shopping trip with Tami. One thing I failed to mention about that day was my astonishment at how nice, polite and cheerful all the people were. We've all heard the horror stories about crowded stores full of grumpy and sometimes ruthless Christmas shoppers. People pushing, shoving, and snapping at each other. Everybody we encountered on our shopping trip was very pleasant. We had some light-hearted, fun conversations with people as we stood in line and we didn't see one hint of anything other than courteousness and respect. The Christmas spirit was definitely in full swing and I admit it was completely unexpected.

Don't get me wrong though. I am still anti-shopping. The whole concept of fighting crowds to buy stuff nobody really needs still bothers me. I continue to be disturbed by the loss of focus of what Christmas is really about. But I also understand gift giving has its place in American Christmas tradition. I am not against gifts. My children and grandchildren will be getting plenty of presents on Christmas and I am totally okay with that. I just want to make sure Christmas is celebrated for the right reason in the Meyer house and doesn't become only about presents.

As always... Soli' Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment