Thursday, February 5, 2015

Ella who?

February is Black History Month. As part of my social studies class, my students are doing research reports on famous African-Americans. These people come from the areas of civil rights, politics, science, sports and entertainment. In order to help the students select a person to research, I compiled a list of people and gave a very short description of each person. When I had finished the list and the students were choosing their person, one little girl raised her hand and asked, "Who's Elephants Gerald?". I tried to hide my surprise at the question, and did compose myself enough to ask, "I'm sorry. Who?". "You know, that famous singer you talked about. Elephants Gerald". I'm sure you've figured out, as I did, that this girl was asking about Ella Fitzgerald. Oh brother! Can you see what I'm up against each day? Elephants Gerald? SHEESH!


No comments:

Post a Comment