Monday, July 27, 2015

The Beach

Many people love going to the beach in the summer. I am not one of those people. Which is strange because I dearly love the water. I enjoy being around the water and in the water (Fishing, boating, water skiing, swimming, sight seeing, cruising). So what's the problem with the beach? Several things actually...

It's too hot! Sitting out and baking on the sand is not my idea of a good time. The ocean water is hardly refreshing either. For some reason the salt water just doesn't seem to cool you down like freshwater does.

It's crowded! Hustling and bustling for a good spot for my umbrella is not my idea of a good time. Why do you think people pay good money to go to private beaches? To avoid the crowds and more specifically to avoid the idiots that always come with being in big crowds.

It's messy! This is embarrassing to admit. I just don't like having sand all over me and everything I own. No matter how much you try to shake things out and rinse things off... you can never get rid of all of it.

It can be painful! I know the chance of being attacked by a shark is about a gazillion to one, but I don't like swimming when something could eat me for lunch. There is also the problem of jellyfish. I had friends who took a trip to the beach two weeks ago. There were so many jellyfish that swimming without getting stung was nearly impossible. Most of their family members stayed out of the water and those who braved a swim got stung... A LOT!

Does all this mean I hate the beach? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Despite the things listed above, I can go to the beach and enjoy myself. I just have to go for short periods of time. I can't go and stay all day and I can't go for days on end. A couple of short days at the beach is plenty for me. I always say a little of the beach goes a long way.

I love walking on the beach. This is especially so early in the morning or at night. There are always fewer people at the beach during these times and in my opinion, the scenery is prettier too.

Why all this talk about the beach? Well, Tami and I were contemplating a last hurrah trip to the beach before school starts. For a multitude of reasons we decided against it. None of the reasons for deciding against a last minute trip to the beach are the ones listed above. The main barriers were financial and schedule related. In the end we decided to save our pennies for some sort of trip next year.


Looks like fun, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment