Friday, December 2, 2011

Ballerinas, tutus and men in tights

Our school took the students on a field trip to see the Nutcracker Ballet at the School for Creative and Performing Arts. This is not the Cincinnati Ballet Company at Music Hall, but it featured some really talented kids. I must confess I was very skeptical going in. Ballerinas in tutus, men in tights showing way more than I care to see, sugar plum fairies prancing and twirling around the stage. It was 2 hours long and I was dreading trying to keep my wild savages from bouncing off the walls. Much to my pleasant surprise it was actually a very good show. It kept the attention of my students and it kept my attention too. Cool costumes, some neat dancing, pretty scenery and some wonderful music. I'm not saying I'm buying season tickets to the ballet, but I consider myself a little more cultured today.

I'm sure you've all heard portions of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. Parts of this very famous piece of music are heard in many movies, TV shows, commercials and practically every shopping mall in the world at Christmas time.

We had a good time, but I really could have done without seeing guys in tights. That's just gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment