Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Most families have them. Some families have more than others. Some are fun. Some are serious. Some are downright silly. I'm talking about Christmas traditions.

Growing up on Sullivan Avenue in St. Bernard, my parents had some neat things we did every year. Driving around looking at Christmas lights, the "Mystery Gift" and listening to Dad's 8 track Christmas tapes as we decorated the tree. I have nothing but fond memories of the Christmases spent with my parents and two siblings. In addition, every Christmas Eve would be spent with my Grandma and Grandpa Meyer at their house in Mt. Healthy. A few blocks up the street from their house was the manger located at the Paul R. Young funeral home. We'd visit the manger EVERY YEAR! What's the big deal you ask? Mangers are a dime a dozen at Christmas time, right? Right, but this one is special. Many years ago Paul Young created very life-like wax figures for the manger in front of the funeral home. He placed them in a barn-like structure made of wood and straw. There were live sheep and donkeys too. I'm telling you, it was something I looked forward to every year. The place was magical and it still is.

When I started dating Tami in 1989, I wanted to take her and Jessi to this magical place. We went that first year together and have not missed a Christmas since. It's one of our most special traditions. Of course, Michael and Abby have now been many times as well. I remember one year, the weather was particularly nasty. The roads were snowy, icy and treacherous. We told the kids we probably wouldn't be able to visit the manger. Michael nearly came unglued. Christmas (in his mind) could not happen without this traditional trek. Guess what we did? We packed the kids in the car and slipped and slid to the manger. Who am I to deny my children the wonder of Christmas? I don't regret it. Especially since it reinforces the true meaning of the Christmas season. The birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus.

We have another tradition too. Every year we visit two houses that go all out with their Christmas light displays. They are within a stone's throw of each other and call themselves the North Pole and the South Pole. Both places you park the car and walk through the yards looking at the displays. The North Pole even has a garage set up as Santa's Workshop. You walk in to be greeted by electric trains and about a million christmas toys and decorations. Our kids love it to this day.

Tonight Tami and I will make this trip for the 23rd time together. Michael and Abby look forward to it every year. Jessi used to love it too, but she has a family of her own now and lives an hour away. I'm already making plans to take our Sveta to the manger, the North Pole and the South Pole next year. This tradition that began when I was a small boy will very soon be carried on with my granddaughter and hopefully many more grandchildren in the future. I can't wait for that!

1 comment:

  1. Was that the year that we also ate hot dogs and chips for dinner from the gas station because the only other option was White Castle - and we weren't going there??!!

    Wish we could go with you. But there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete