Saturday, December 3, 2011

We'll leave the "Lights" on for you

Today was the day I put up all the exterior Christmas lights. I got a late start, had multiple interruptions and encountered many more difficulties than usual when nearly half my strands didn't work. I strongly considered just giving up and not decorating outside this year. After all, my kids are now in high school and don't seem to mind if the lights go up or not. They both refused my requests for help with the project anyway. However, I decided to press on.

Things progressed very slowly as I encountered problem after problem. I was about to throw in the towel again when my neighbor came over to chat and check out my work. I mentioned my shortage of working strands of lights. She said she had two brand new strands that she didn't want and asked if I wanted them. As it turned out, it was exactly what I needed to successfully complete the project. 7 hours later, the house was glowing with several thousand twinkling lights.

As we have decorated our home to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, our family has decided to leave the christmas tree and lights up until Sveta gets home from Russia. We hope and pray the decorations aren't up for too long after the new year, but we are committed to leaving them up for as long as it takes. I really don't want to take the lights down in the warmth of spring or the heat of summer... but I will if it takes that long for her to get home.

As I was hanging the lights on the gutter and draping the bushes with sparkling strands, all I could think of was seeing Sveta's face filled with wonder as she sees Grandma and Grandpa's house for the first time. That will make every bit of my troubles worth it.

So, Sveta, my love, hurry home to see grandma and grandpa's Christmas tree and pretty decorations. We'll leave the "Lights" on for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment