Thursday, December 22, 2011

I feel SO old


Last night we took a little trip to Half Price Books just for kicks. They have a little bit of everything... books, CDs, Old VHS tapes, magazines, novelties and... old vinyl record albums. We were all browsing through the dusty old records when Michael took one out of its sleeve and said, "So THIS is what a record looks like!". It blew me away that he had never seen a record before. He then asked a bunch of questions that seemed so comical to Tami and me. He wanted to know if there was a specific place on the record to place the needle to get the record to play. He wanted to know if there was something wrong with it because it was so flimsy and floppy. I explained that records are made of vinyl which is much more flexible than the space age material CDs are made of. I also showed him how you could look at the record and see the divisions between the songs on the surface of the vinyl. In the end we all had a good laugh about how kids today have no idea what records are or how they work. After the laughing died down I wandered the aisles of the store alone and I began to feel very old. My son is going to college next year, My eldest daughter is on the other side of the world getting ready to bring my first grandchild home and my youngest daughter reminded me that she can get her drivers learning permit in 6 months. Perhaps I should start making plans for my mid-life crisis. Should I get a BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes or a Porsche?

1 comment: