Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm not jealous

A professional baseball player just signed a 10 year, 250 million dollar contract. That's 25 million bucks a year for the next 10 years. Albert Pujols, arguably one of the best players to come along in a very long time will make $68k per day for the next ten years. That's per day, folks. Not per week, not per month... per DAY. Even when he is not playing, he makes $68,000 in a days time. Breaking down the baseball season, he will make $154,000 per game. That's approximately $50,000 an hour for a game that lasts approximately 3 hours. Taking it even further, that's approximately $10,000 every time he comes to bat. He makes the money whether he hits a home run or strikes out. Even the best hitters only get a hit 30%-40% of the time.

Am I the only one who thinks this is totally ridiculous? Believe me, I'm not speaking out of jealousy. I am content. I am more than satisfied with what The Lord has graciously provided for me and my family. I am simply marveling at the absurdity of all this. The world is so out of whack, I don't even know what to say...

As I read somewhere this week... "Money can't buy you happiness, but you can rent a smile for a very long time." I don't quote this because I think it's true. I quote this because I found it humorous. Money won't fulfill us. We think it will, but it won't. If I had an extra $10,000 this year, would I do something honorable with it? Honestly, probably not. I'd most likely fritter it away on something I didn't need. The point being... there is only One who can fulfill. Jesus is the constant. Everything else is just stuff.

Mr. Pujols, congratulations on landing the second largest contract in baseball history. I have no idea how many gazillion dollar houses you will buy with all that cash. However, as for me and my house, we will serve The Lord. Joshua 24:15

No comments:

Post a Comment