Saturday, December 31, 2011

A different kind of resolution

Every year about this time I am inspired by news agencies and websites that give a summary of events from the past year. 2011, the year in pictures. Top news stories of 2011. Famous people who died in 2011. You get the idea. Every year I want to do something similar... keep notes, a journal, a diary etc... to document the events of the coming year. And every December I look back and try to remember what happened during the past year because I (again) failed to document the events in writing. This year will be different! (Yeah, right!) because Sveta will be coming home. I am dedicated to it this time.

Here is my lame attempt at recalling some 2011 highlights (and some not-so-high-lights) for the Meyer Family.

January- Jessi and Barry announce their decision to adopt a little girl from Russia.

February- I turned 44 years old. I can tell you in all seriousness... this was my turning point. Meaning this is the year I actually began to feel my age. My vision and hearing are diminishing. My body aches most of the time. My memory is not as sharp as it once was. My hairline is receding at an alarming rate. Things are happening to my body that won't be mentioned on this blog.

April- We become members of the Bible Chapel of Delhi Hills. The church where Tami and I will attend the rest of our lives.

May 4th- Michael's lung collapses at school scaring the daylights out of everybody. He is in the hospital about a week.

June 2nd- Michael's lung collapses for a second time (again at school). Our early June cruise vacation is in serious jeopardy. The doctor says he'll need surgery after our vacation (If we go).

June 8th- Michael recovers in the nick of time and we leave for our vacation somewhat against the doctor's recommendation (he never ordered Michael NOT to go). Later that same day in Lebanon, Pennsylvania Michael experiences pain in his chest. We stop at a hospital fearing the worst. But it's only a false alarm resulting from a long day of driving.

June 9th-18th. Bermuda and Caribbean cruise goes off without a hitch. Michael has no problems with his lung. We had a wonderful time.

June 18th- We hit a deer in Zanesville, Ohio returning from vacation. Car damaged, but is still drivable. My amazing Father-in-Law fixed the damage at a greatly reduced price!

June 19th- Father's Day. Dinner at La Rosa's restaurant with Tami's parents is interrupted by Michael's third lung collapse. He was scheduled the next day for an appointment to set up the surgery for later in the week.

June 21st- Michael's lung is repaired via surgery and has had no further problems. Praise the Lord! He was in the hospital 8 or 9 days.

July 20th- Tami and I celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

August- I enter my 22nd year of teaching. Abby is a freshman. Michael is a senior.

September- I learn that legislation in Ohio officially passed changing my retirement plans. Formerly I was eligible to retire in 2020. New law extends my teaching career by 8 years. I'm still sick to my stomach over this.

October 1st- I launch this blog. A tremendous outlet for a silent and seemingly shallow guy.

November- A lot of time going through the ups and downs of the adoption process with Jess and Barry. Many roadblocks during this time.

November 12- Watched my niece Mary win a state soccer championship in Columbus with her team, Summit Country Day High School. This was quite a thrill for the entire Meyer family.

December 7- Jessi and Barry get the call informing them of a court date on the 23rd.

December 23- Court goes well and the Russian judge grants custody of Sveta to Jessi and Barry.

Christmas Holiday- Things feel different this year. The kids are older and we are distracted with Sveta's impending adoption. Great Christmas nonetheless. Decision made to leave tree and lights up until Sveta comes home to see them

December 31- I look back at 2011 remembering far more than I thought I would. Thanking God for his everlasting mercy and grace. As I typed this post I saw in text just how much God has blessed the Meyers this year. My prayer now is for Sveta to be home next month and for God's continued protection and blessing on this family.

Happy New Year everyone! May 2012 be your best ever. Thanks to anyone who checks this blog regularly. I'm flattered that anyone would care enough to read this drivel.

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Mick. Thanks for the "year in review". Really enjoyed it. What a good year it was! Can't wait for what God has for us in 2012!

    Barry

    ReplyDelete