Thursday, August 1, 2013

2013- The summer that wasn't

As promised, today's post will not be a feel good story. I'm not trying to be a bummer, but the feelings I am having right now are real and this blog has always been a reflection of what's on my mind.

I'll put it bluntly. This summer has pretty much stunk! It really doesn't even feel like I've had a summer at all. Before it ever got started (the last day of school), my sister-in-law passed away. We had to cancel our vacation and fly unexpectedly to Phoenix. Please do not think I am bitter about my vacation. I'm not. We needed to be in Phoenix and it was the right thing to do. While in Phoenix, I received word that my dearest friend from school passed away unexpectedly. A second punch to the gut in as many days. I'm still reeling and it will really hit home once I go back to school. Once we returned from Phoenix, it was time to start my summer job. As summer jobs go, it's a good one. But it's still a JOB. Summer job=less free time. Once again, I'm not whining about having less free time, but there were so many things I wanted to accomplish that I never got to. The kicker has been the weather. We have had an unusually cool and rainy summer. These are not conditions conducive to lounging on the deck and swimming in the pool. Now there are less than three weeks until school starts. There is a tremendous amount of work to do in my classroom before then and I will spend most of the rest of the summer preparing for the upcoming school year.

Not exactly the picture of a summer of sun and fun, eh? That's why I've branded this the summer that wasn't.

Sorry for the downer, folks. Back to the fun stuff tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment