Tuesday, August 27, 2013

School Story

As a teacher working with 11 and 12 year olds, funny things happen at school all the time. Today's humorous tale comes from my time on playground duty. I was supervising some boys playing basketball when a group of girls approached me. They said there was "something gross" over in the grass. I asked what it was and they wouldn't tell me. Not wanting to leave the boys unsupervised and not wanting to leave my post, I pressed the girls for details. Is it a dead animal? No. Is it dog poop? No. C'mon girls, just tell me what it is. Well... we don't wanna say. Exasperated, I pressed them further. One girl finally said, "Okay. It's a used condo". A condo? I knew immediately what this girl was TRYING to say. This sounded a bit more important than a pile of doggy doo, so I walked over to the area in question. Sure enough, I spied exactly what these girls were referring to and precisely what I expected. The condo in question was indeed a used prophylactic. Thankfully recess was almost over and I was able to shoo the children away. Thankfully nobody asked me what it was. Then it occurred to me... they didn't need to ask. They already KNEW what it was. It also got me to thinking a bit further. If this had happened when I was in 6th grade, would I have known what I was looking at? I seriously doubt it. Sadly it's a different world now.

The whole thing did cause quite a chuckle in the teachers lounge. Some asked if anybody was in the market for a used condo. Not surprisingly, nobody was.

No comments:

Post a Comment