Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Grammar Nerd?

I admit it. I am a grammar nerd. Some may even call me a grammar snob. I try not to be that way. I really, really do! Sometimes I just can't help myself. The English language can be tricky. I acknowledge that. Mistakes are going to happen. I make grammatical errors many times myself. What bugs me is when people absolutely SLAUGHTER the language. I'm not referring to the occasional mistake here, but the the complete disregard for the proper use of the English language. I'm also not talking about the language used in text messaging. (For example: Plz say bye b4 u lve, k? = Please say goodbye before you leave, okay?) That's a different matter. I use this sort of slanguage in texting all the time, but I don't let it carry over to any other aspect of my written or spoken word.

Here's what really irritates me:

Grammatical or spelling errors on the sign board of a business. Come on people! You are a full fledged, bonafide business, not a nine year old's lemonade stand!

Grammatical or spelling errors in professional publications (newspapers, magazines, news websites, the news scroll across the bottom of a television screen). These writers are professionals. They went to journalism school to learn how to write. Let me tell you folks, there is some real drivel written by these so called professional journalists.

Grammatical or spelling errors on professionally printed signs or materials. Signs in places of business, brochures etc... The Shell gas station in Lawrenceburg has professionally manufactured decals on all their gas pumps that say, "Please prepay in advance". As opposed to what? Prepaying AFTER you pump your gas? Shell is a multi-billion dollar oil corporation. Wouldn't somebody know that statement is redundant? Please prepay or please pay in advance... either statement is acceptable. No need for both. That's like saying there is a big, huge tree in my yard. Redundant! One adjective will suffice.

People who can't learn the difference between your and you're, there, their and they're or to, too and two. There are tons of others, but those are the big ones. It doesn't take much effort to get it right.

Am I coming off as some sort of elitist here? Maybe. I just think a lot of grammatical problems stem from laziness. Please do not confuse lazy language with casual language. I use my casual register all the time. You see it on this blog daily. However, I can kick my formal register into high gear any time I want to. Lazy language is when people do not put forth the effort to write or speak correctly when the situation calls for it. It doesn't take a lot of effort to speak and write well, but it does take SOME. I think people just need to be willing to work at it a little.

I guess you can tell I have high expectations in my classroom for the use of the English language. My students get so annoyed when I correct their English, but they know I will keep correcting them until they get it right. In most cases the students KNOW the correct language usage, but find it easier to speak in a casual way. I am not shy about telling them the way they speak on the playground has to be different than the way they speak in my classroom. And by the way... I have the same expectations for myself and everyone who works at my school. This is why I am mortified every time something is sent home from school with grammatical or spelling errors. That is totally unacceptable.

So, in closing, I will leave you with these nuggets of advice:

Try hard to rite and talk real good.

Don't use no double negatives.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

About those incomplete sentences...

Don't repeat words that are unnecessary and don't be redundant.

Try to avoid cliches like the plague!

Try to avoid run on sentences as they are too lengthy to read easily and can be difficult to differentiate from the other sentences around it and quite frankly really mess up an otherwise good piece of writing.

Don't use embellished or ostentatious words when simpler ones will do.

These nuggets of advice are obviously jokes. The English language can be fun when given the chance. I love words and language... when used properly of course :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment