Friday, August 16, 2013

Tick Tock

Tick tock, tick tock. With every passing minute summer is slipping away and the approaching school year barrels down on me like a runaway train. It's not a good feeling knowing my beloved summer is gone. In a matter of days I will begin my 24th year of teaching. The more I think about it, the more I realize that's a looooooong time! It seems like only yesterday I was a wide-eyed rookie walking in to greet my first class. Now I am the most senior teacher on my floor and rank in the top 5 in my whole building (seniority wise). That thought is truly amazing to me.

Please don't misunderstand when I say school is barreling down on me like a train. It's time to go back and all good summers must come to an end. I do still get a twinge of excitement when a new school year starts, but that excitement is usually squelched fairly quickly by disrespectful children (but that's a post for another day). This year is different because I'm dealing with the death of my dear friend Nancy. Not only am I dealing with her death, but my new classroom is the one she occupied for many, many years. There are many memories of her in that room. It's going to take some time to get over it.

At any rate... goodbye summer, hello stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment