Saturday, November 29, 2014

Call me Forrest

Forrest Gump once said, "Stupid is as stupid does". He also said, "I am not a smart man, Jen-nay".

You can call me Forrest Gump today because I am not a smart man. Today I "TRIED" to put up the family Christmas tree. Keep in mind I have been putting up the same Christmas tree for more than 15 years. I should be able to do this in my sleep, right? Wrong.

I spent more than an hour trying to get the upright piece to stand firmly in the base. In the past this step has taken mere moments. This year I wrestled with it, struggled with it and fought with it. I could not get the stupid thing to hold. I finally got it into a precarious position, but I thought it would be "good enough". I put all the branches on and had just begun to put the lights on when the inevitable happened... the tree fell over! I called for assistance and Tami came to the rescue. I stood the tree up, held it in position as she laid on her belly and attempted to secure the upright piece. As she was struggling with it, I looked across the room and saw the problem. The silver ring that secured the whole tree stand had been idiotically forgotten by yours truly... Forrest Gump. I let out a yell that scared Tami. The moment I saw it, I knew where I had gone terribly wrong.

It was easy after that. I lifted the tree out of the stand. Tami put the locking ring in place and I put the tree back into the stand which was now assembled properly. What should have taken an hour took more than 3. On top of that, half of my lights were not working. After a trip to the store, the lights were twinkling on the tree. This usually simple job, turned into a real ordeal. But in the end, the tree is up and ready to greet holiday revelers when they enter the Meyer home.

Here is a photo of the culprit. Imagine trying to assemble the tree without the silver ring on top. No wonder this was such a debacle.

I am NOT a smart man.

No comments:

Post a Comment