Monday, October 17, 2011

Bookend Birthdays

Tuesday marks the 76th birthday of my father-in-law, the patriarch of Tami's side of the family. Happy Birthday, Frank! Thursday marks my son Michael's 18th birthday. He is the only male of that generation on either side of the family. That's right. He's the one and only grandson on both sides of the family. My poor son has been drowning in an estrogen ocean for his entire life. He has no male cousins. Of course you know what this means... the responsibility of carrying on the Meyer family name falls squarely on his shoulders. Well, not exactly his shoulders, but you get my drift :-)

And speaking of that... I remember when Tami was pregnant with Michael (at the time we didn't know the baby was a boy). My Grandpa Meyer was so excited for us. But he was also concerned about the continuation of the family name. He talked about that a lot and said he'd prayed about it. 18 years ago Thursday, when the doctor announced, "It's a boy!", I BAWLED. Yes, because I was happy to have a new baby, but mostly because I knew my grandpa's prayer had been answered. Thursday my boy officially becomes a man... and a fine one he already is. Happy Birthday, son. We are all proud of you and we love you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment