Saturday, October 8, 2011

Heaven on earth!


It really doesn't get any better than this. It's Saturday mid-morning. I am sitting on my deck with my laptop. For the majority of the morning Tami and I have been drinking coffee, having a nice conversation, reading our Bibles and watching the kids go off to work. As stated in a previous post, the weather is as close to perfect as it's going to get. We have been marveling at God's creation, a lot of which goes unnoticed unless you slow down and really pay attention. Black walnuts are falling off the tree with a thud, squirrels are busy gathering in for winter, leaves are falling gently to the ground. We have nowhere to be and nothing to do.... and we like it that way.

Later this afternoon Tami and I are going to take a long walk and soak in the beautiful day. Tonight after dark we are going to have a bonfire in the backyard. The kids will both be home by then and we will roast some marshmallows as we enjoy some family time around the fire. I can't think of a better way to spend a day off from the stress of work.

I am just amazed at how blessed this family is. I am sitting under my gazebo in my backyard paradise. The paradise that in the summer teems with tomatoes and peppers from my earthboxes and where we lounge around our pool. The paradise that in the fall plays out scenes like the one described above. The paradise that in the winter taunts me as it is covered in snow. Reminding me that after the long, cold, dark winter... paradise will once again be there for me. I realize that if I didn't suffer through winter (and yes, I do mean SUFFER!) I would simply take for granted what God has blessed me with.

Life is so good for me right now. Even as I watch leaves falling from the trees, knowing that everything is dying as we slide inevitably toward winter. Even as I face the idea of going back to work on Monday. Life is good and I could not ask for anything more. I have everything I need and want for nothing. To God be the glory.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mick! I'm really enjoying reading about your family, home, and thoughts! I am so surprised that you don't love the fall! Especially with what sounds like such a beautiful sight at your home; I guess when you have our schedule,summer just beats all :)

    ReplyDelete