Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The easiest job in the world

I once heard a comedian (Lewis Black, I think) say the world's easiest job must be that of the weather forecaster in San Diego. Can't you just imagine the scene as it plays out on your television screen? The camera zooms in on the weatherman, a cloud free map behind him. "The weather today will be fair, mild, sunny and warm with no humidity. There will be a nice breeze blowing in from the Pacific. Now back to Steve with more news". The same scene must play over and over on TV stations in San Diego.

For the last 3 days in the Greater Cincinnati area we have enjoyed clear, blue skies. Temperatures in the mid 70's with no humidity. Just plain gorgeous is the only way to describe it. This weather pattern is expected to last at least another 7 days. All I keep thinking is, this must be what folks in San Diego get to enjoy year-round. I'm sure they have no idea how good they've got it. Let them spend a few days in Cincinnati in mid January. They'd count their blessings real quick. I'm counting MY blessings this week. This weather is unbelievable and only reinforces my desire to spend my winters in a warmer climate when I retire. Tami says she doesn't want to leave the grandchildren. I say, let them shiver their tails off and come visit grandma and grandpa where it's warm. They'll be here waiting for us when we return in the spring.

I'm sure there will be a lengthy blog post in the future about how I despise everything winter. People often tell me they'd rather be cold than sweat profusely on a hot, humid summer day. My argument is simple. I've never had to shovel humidity out of my driveway. So long, summer. I already miss you old friend. Hurry back!  

1 comment: