Monday, June 3, 2013

23 years

This week I finish my 23rd year of teaching. After all this time there are still a few things that amaze me. You would think that I've seen and heard it all, but each year brings new and challenging things. As teachers we always say, "Our job may be stressful, but it's never boring". Kids are always doing something different and coming up with new stuff. Here's a list of things that still amaze me:

* How much kids can grow and change in a 10 month school year
* Crazy things still happen even after you think you've seen it all (see last week's rabbit story)
* The last week of school stirs feelings of pure elation (I guess we never grow up)
* I still know more than my students (although they think I'm pretty dumb)
* Given a chance, children will lie to avoid almost anything
* Children use more effort avoiding work than it actually takes to do it
* Children can be so cold and cruel to each other
* Children can be so compassionate toward one another
* Some things never change. For example, boys still tease girls to show they "like" them.
* Some children are so needy (not just financially) it breaks your heart
* Children are so resilient
* Children only remember the stuff you don't want them to
* Just when you think you can't face things another day, you find the strength to go on
* A coffee cake in the teachers lounge can change EVERYTHING!
* Eating chips and salsa at 7:00 A.M. is commonplace
* A schedule disruption can ruin a whole day
* Every Friday at 3:00 feels like you just hit the lottery
* Sadly, children know more about "adult stuff" every year.
* I'm now considered an old timer (some former students are actually my colleagues now)
* New trends in education are not always better. Sometimes the old way is best
* God is good. ALL THE TIME. He always provides what I need whether I realize it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment