Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lazy Hazy Crazy

You know what summer days are like around here. Hot, humid, dense, thick and hazy air. The atmosphere has that look of thunderstorms ready to pop up at any moment. Clouds building in the distance and there's always a chance of storms. That's the kind of day it is today.

I was working outside on the deck today and sweat was just pouring off me. It didn't take long before I heard rumbling off to the west. I knew what was coming. Soon the wind picked up a little bit and a storm rolled through. It was brief and there really wasn't much to it. You may think I was disappointed at being chased indoors. On the contrary. These hazy days when storms could form at any second are one of the things I love about summer. I also noticed a song rattling around in my head and I found myself humming as I worked. It was just kind of background noise for me, but when I stopped for a water break I identified the song. It was Nat King Cole's, "Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer". I love summer... storms, heat, humidity and all. Here's a small snippet of that song that was buzzing around in my head this afternoon.

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Those days of soda and pretzels and beer
Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Dust off the sun and moon and sing a song of cheer

Just fill your basket full of sandwiches and weenies
Then lock the house up, now you're set...

You probably know the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment