Tuesday, June 4, 2013

One of those moments!

I spend a lot of time talking about the negatives of being a teacher in the 21st century. The blatant disrespect from students, total disregard for rules and authority, the breakdown of the traditional American family unit etc... Today, I experienced one of those moments that makes everything worthwhile. One of those times that reminds me why I ever became a teacher in the first place. As the school year winds down, I am now seeing some classes for the last time until next year (and some for the last time ever). Today, as one class was leaving my classroom for the last time, a student walked up to me, looked me directly in the eye and said, "It was nice being in your class this year, Mr. Meyer. Have a nice summer". Goosebumps immediately appeared on my skin and a big lump jumped into my throat. I think this reaction was caused because the comment was so unexpected and straight from the heart. Nobody told this kid to say this. Just when I think all is for naught, something like this happens and it restores my desire to teach. Many of the rewards of teaching are intrinsic. It's not about the money or the recognition. Knowing that some kids really do appreciate what I do and value what I'm teaching. THAT'S what makes it all worth it. Who would have thought I would have gotten a pat on the back from a 5th grader? Just when I was feeling lower than low, God sends this little guy my way for a pick-me-up. To God alone be the glory!  

No comments:

Post a Comment