Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I have to face it

I am off work tomorrow. Normally that would be a good thing. That's not the case this time. Tomorrow I will be meeting some of my teacher friends at school. Our task will be to clean out Nancy Long's classroom. It's going to be a tough day. We will be boxing up her personal possessions for her family and preparing the educational materials for the new, incoming teacher that will take her place.

Keep in mind the room we are cleaning out is the classroom in which I spent the last 15 years. Nancy moved into the room on June 7th and died less than 48 hours later. This will be my first trip back to school since her death and it will also be the first time I have seen any of my colleagues since then. It is going to be a very difficult day. As we are cleaning I'm sure there will be lots of tears. I'm sure we'll be telling stories and reminiscing as well. There will be a lot of laughter mixed with all the tears. It's going to be an emotionally draining day. I don't HAVE to go. Nobody is forcing me. However, I feel like it's something I need to do. I have to face this. Tomorrow is that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment