Saturday, November 30, 2013

Facebook

I've been asked many times why I'm not on Facebook. In honesty, the reasons are so numerous I don't have time to list them all. However, here's the short version. Professionally speaking it is recommended teachers not have Facebook accounts. It is just not a good idea for students to be able to find their teachers on Facebook. Kids are really savvy and can do all sorts of shady things on Facebook. I choose not to open myself up to that. Some teachers I  know have Facebook and have never had any issues. Another reason is that it is such a time waster. If people would just use it to stay in touch with family and friends, to post photos and to make important announcements, it might be okay. But we all know it is used and abused for so many more things. I mean, seriously, why would I care if you dressed up your dog like an elf for Christmas or you just spent 96 hours studying for your Biology final? Tell me you're getting married or you are going to have a baby... great! Tell me you ate too much on Thanksgiving... c'mon, gimme a break! I guess the final reason is there are just too many more important things in life. I'm not anti-Facebook. I'm simply against hearing what a friend of a friend of a friend had for lunch. Listen folks, I post stuff on this blog that nobody else cares about, but I think the difference is people read this blog by choice... not because you are a friend of a friend. 

This comic kind of reminds me of Facebook and how there are so many things in life more important.



No comments:

Post a Comment