Thursday, November 7, 2013

Life in small chunks

Teachers are a strange bunch. I admit it. We have many little quirks and a lot of strange ways of dealing with our stressful job. For me, one strategy I employ is breaking my school year into small, manageable chunks. I'm always looking for that next three day weekend or that next break in the schedule. This time of year this is especially the case. I have Monday off (Veterans Day). In a few weeks I have 5 days off for Thanksgiving. Three weeks after that I get a two week Christmas break. When you look at the big picture, it seems like that nice long break is far off. When you look at things in small chunks, things somehow seem more tolerable. It's all psychological of course, but whatever it takes to cope...

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Does anybody else have any strange coping mechanisms? Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the weird one.

No comments:

Post a Comment