Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Road Trip!

Tami bought a fairly large piece of furniture to refinish and we went to pick it up today. When I say we, I mean Tami, Michael and me. We had my sister-in-law's SUV, so you would think this would be a fairly easy trip, right? Not exactly. Well, for starters we had to drive about an hour to get there. Once we arrived we found the yard and driveway to be snow covered. Because the piece was so large, the seller said we could drive closer to the door through her yard. I had serious reservations about doing this because of the snow, but did it anyway. Michael and I loaded the furniture into the SUV and it filled the entire back end of the vehicle. It was at this point Michael asked the question that had flashed through my mind a split second earlier. "Dad. Where am I supposed to sit?". You guessed it. The furniture was so large there was no room for a third person in the vehicle. Obviously we couldn't leave Michael behind, so he dutifully and without complaint crawled and snaked his way into the back. With the work of a contortionist he found a way to lay down in the back for the hour long trip home. To complicate matters further, we nearly got the SUV stuck in this lady's wet, snowy yard. It took some fancy driving, but I did manage to get the car back onto the pavement.

Tami likes to call this an adventure. She likes to just hop in the car and "go for it" when it comes to this sort of thing. That's not the way I operate. I would have analyzed and measured every aspect of this so called adventure, but I wasn't in charge of this potential debacle. I was only along for the ride (and to lift heavy furniture). This just goes to show one person's idea of adventure and a good time is another person's idea of a trip where so many things could go wrong. Fortunately everything worked out for the best. Michael was a real trooper about his ride home. Not one complaint came from him at all. I don't think I could have been that quiet if I was back there.



No comments:

Post a Comment