Wednesday, November 13, 2013

You're being dishonest!

As a 6th grade teacher, I cannot make generalizations about all 12 year olds. I can only speak about the 12 year olds I've taught in my career. In 24 years, I've probably taught well over 2000 students. My experience with 6th graders is that the vast majority of them lie on a daily basis. Trust me on this one, folks. These children will lie their little rear ends off! Here's an example that happens all the time... I can stand and watch a 6th grader. Their mouth is moving, I hear their voice and they are clearly speaking to their neighbor. I look at the child and say, "Billy. Stop talking, please." The child will look me straight in the eye and say, "I wasn't talking". Huh? Are you serious? "I just watched you. You were clearly talking." "No I wasn't." The lying doesn't get any more blatant. To make things worse, the child will never come clean. They will tell lie upon lie to try and cover up. It's maddening! JUST TELL THE TRUTH! BE HONEST... JUST ONCE!

It's just sad. I'm now to the point where I can almost not believe a word any of my students say.

How can you tell if a 6th grader is lying? His/Her lips are moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment