Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Lefty

It's been said that left handed people are the only ones in their right mind.

For me, that's only partly true. I'm left handed, but only sort of. I'm also right handed, but only sort of. Confused? I don't blame you. There are certain things I do left handed and certain things I do right handed. I eat and write left handed, but use tools and play sports right handed. I'm just a plain ol' mixed up guy!

I am NOT ambidextrous. However, I can do some things with either hand (although my dominant hand does these things better). For example, I can use tools with either hand, but my right hand is a bit more powerful and skilled with them. I can eat and write with my right hand, but is a bit clumsy because I naturally do these things left handed.

Why all this talk about being right handed or left handed? Well, it's all because I was hand writing a very important document at work today. Obviously I was writing left handed and I kept smudging the words across my paper. It looked like a first grader's writing. Not exactly something professional looking that a teacher would submit. Exasperated, I finally resorted to using a pencil. Using a pencil is not exactly professional either, but it beats smearing ink all over the place. This smudging has been happening since my earliest days as a writer. I remember being frustrated by this in elementary and high school. It will be a problem for lefties from now until doomsday. I also heard of a study that concluded that left handers have a shorter lifespan than righties. I'm not sure why that is, but it hardly seems fair. I guess the bright side is I will always smudge my writing, but I won't have to put up with it for a long time because I will die before my right handed friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment