Monday, April 28, 2014

The truth

As Americans, children are entitled to a free and public education. I have NO problem with that. I work in a public school and I have made a comfortable living teaching in a public school. What has bothered me for many years is the number of people who willingly throw this education away. Children and adults alike reject this glorious opportunity every year. I'm amazed at how teachers and schools are viewed as the enemy instead of people who are providing a golden opportunity for a successful future. Generational poverty is called generational for a reason. Treating a free and public education as a nuisance or even something to be despised is one of the causes of this generational poverty. There is a way out, but so many times people do not choose that path.

In my opinion, everybody has the same opportunities for an education. If some people reject those opportunities, that's on them. However, public education today seems to have a different outcome in mind. The desired outcome seems to be that everybody ends up with the same results... no matter what. I fail to see how everybody can can come out the same at the end if some people embrace their educational opportunities while others couldn't care any less. We all hold our futures in our hands. What we do with our opportunities is up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment