Thursday, May 1, 2014

Disconnected

I always carry my cell phone... always. This morning was no different. I had my phone at work and it was functioning perfectly. Later in the afternoon I attempted to use it and got a recording from Verizon saying my call could not be completed and to try again later. If I had further questions I was instructed to contact customer service at Verizon. UGH! This type of thing has happened on rare occasions before. Although I was irritated and annoyed, I was willing to wait out this apparent glitch. A little while later my teaching partner and good friend, Michelle said we should test the phone. While she stood next to me I dialed her number and waited. Nothing happened. Then she decided to dial my number to see what would happen. My phone did not ring, but Michelle's phone connected and she started talking to somebody... but who? It didn't take long for me to realize that Michelle was talking to MY WIFE. Tami informed Michelle that she had called my phone. Are you confused? I'm guessing you are because I was totally confused. I insisted Tami couldn't have my phone because I was very clearly holding my phone in my own hand. Then once Tami explained, all the puzzle pieces fell into place.

Here's what happened... during the afternoon Tami visited the Verizon store without my knowledge and got us new phones (free upgrades). When my new phone was activated at the store, the phone in my pocket was disconnected from service (rendering it useless and explaining why I was getting a recording when trying to make a phone call). Then when Michelle dialed my number, my new phone (which was still in Tami's possession) rang and she answered it. Weird!

In the end, my teaching partner got to talk to my wife on the phone and I didn't. I ended up with a new phone and I will spend the better part of the next month trying to figure out how it works. (my phone number is still the same by the way).

It was a funny end to what was an otherwise stressful day.

1 comment: