Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Opera

Here's another indication of the type of children I teach. I was reviewing the spelling words for the week and one of the words was "opera" (as in Phantom of the OPERA). Before I could even say the word, one of my students blurted out "Oprah" (as in Winfrey). I politely told the student the word was opera and not Oprah. Instead of nodding with approval or simply accepting my explanation, the student proceeded to argue with me. He insisted it was Oprah and I strongly asserted the word was opera. After a little back and forth I told the student the word was opera and that was final... I ended with telling him if he thought the word was Oprah then he was flat wrong. Sorry you little whippersnapper... Don't try to tell me one of my spelling words is flippin' Oprah Winfrey!

No comments:

Post a Comment