Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Strange Time

Tami and I are getting ready to enter a strange time in our lives (albeit temporary). Abby leaves for Florida tomorrow morning. She is taking a spring break trip with a friend and that friend's grandparents. They'll be gone nine days. Michael leaves early Saturday morning for Florida. He is driving down with a friend and will be staying with my sister in Tampa. He will also have the opportunity to visit his Grandma Edra and Grandpa Cliff in Bradenton. To be honest, I am scared silly to think of Michael driving to Florida. I don't worry about his driving. He's a very good and safe driver. I worry about the thousands of other nuts on the road between Cincinnati and Tampa. However, I drove to Florida when I was younger than him and I survived. I now know how worried my parents must have been about me.

That means Tami and I will be without children for over a week. To all the parents out there, this probably sounds like a sweet deal... and on the surface, it is. Peace and quiet for a change. Less laundry, less time chasing kids off the computer and from in front of the TV. But that stuff is going to get really old, really fast. The fact is, I'm going to miss them terribly while they're gone and I'll worry about them until they back home safely. It's what Dads do. All I can say is, it's going to be strange without the kids around. I guess we're Empty Nesters in Training.

No comments:

Post a Comment