Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

This space is normally filled with funny stories about my family or light hearted musings about the largely unimportant details of my life. The circumstances of the day would make it inappropriate for that type of post today.

9/11 brings back feelings of horror and sadness for anyone old enough to remember that ill fated day. Just like December 7th, 1941 and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor for generations before mine, 9/11 is the "Pearl Harbor" of my generation. Everybody knows where they were or what they were doing when they heard about it. I was in my classroom and Tami was at home watching on TV. Watching the events unfold was a surreal experience. It was truly unbelievable to think this was really happening. It was too much like a fictional movie to be real. But it was all too real. America (and the world) was changed forever on that day.

An interesting note: The students I am teaching today are between 9 and 12 years old. These children were either just born or not yet born on 9/11. They have no concept or recollection of what happened 11 years ago today. Heck, Abby was only 4 and Michael was 7. Abby has no recollection of the events and Michael probably has very little, if any memory of the day. Amazing! These children didn't live through it, just like I didn't live through Pearl Harbor.

I am praying today for the families of those who were murdered on that day. I cannot imagine knowing someone who was in New York on September 11, 2001.





1 comment:

  1. Nice post buddy. Hard to believe it's been 11 years. Yet we do still indeed remember the details of our own life that day. And let us never forget

    ReplyDelete