Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I will never understand

As long as I live I will NEVER understand smoking. It is a filthy, disgusting habit. Not only does it poison your body and shorten your life, but it makes everyone and everything reek of cigarette smoke. BLECH! I remember my days working in restaurants and bars. I would come home smelling like an ashtray and I never smoked a day in my life. As horrible as smoking is, sometimes smokers make me laugh. I get a kick out of these young ladies driving down the road smoking in their car. They hold their cigarettes out the window so as to not let any smoke get in their car. Do they seriously think they can keep the odor out their car? They are inhaling this garbage and exhaling it into the car. Yet there they are... daintily holding the cigarette out the window. Yeah, sure! That'll help! What about the smokers who are trying to hide their habit? They puff a large plume of secondary smoke into the air when someone approaches their secret smokers hideout. They wave their hand in the air to disperse the smoke. Well, duh! Do they really think a quick wave of the hand will eliminate the stench of their smoke? What about people who spray on perfume or cologne to attempt to hide their smoking? I used to work with a smoker who would attempt to hide it by dousing herself in the cheapest, most awful perfume known to mankind. She blessed us daily with the malodorous double-whammy of cigarette smoke and dime store perfume. It was UNBEARABLE! On a serious note--- at nearly $5 per pack, even one pack a day will cost a smoker $35 a week. That's roughly $140 a month and $1680 a year. I consider that a bare minimum as most smokers probably burn more than one pack per day. And there's never a doubt when you're around a smoker. Their house, their clothes, their car and everything else stinks badly of smoke. The best example of this was my own grandmother. Her apartment was nothing more than a three room ashtray. She used to bake me pies and cookies. I would take them home and you could smell the smoke on them. YUCK! I never told her, but these baked treats always went straight into the trash can. I never had the heart to tell her the baked goods were inedible. It was terribly sad. Smoking isn't what ultimately caused her death, but I'm certain it didn't help her any.


No comments:

Post a Comment