Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Not the most wonderful time of the year

I know it's not Christmas. Goodness knows we don't want to start talking about the holiday season in September. But the world lost a good one today. Crooner Andy Williams passed away. His Christmas classic, "It's the most wonderful time of the year", has been played millions of times on the radio, shopping mall soundtracks and has even been used on several television commercials (The popular back to school Staples ads come to mind). Who hasn't hummed this tune at some point during the Christmas season? I remember my mom had the Christmas album of Andy Williams and the Williams Brothers. This song was by far the most popular and well known tune from that album. For you younger folks, an album is like a big, black CD.

Christmas will always be about the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ. But the secular side of Christmas will have a hole in it this year. Ol' Andy won't be belting out his Christmas tunes in his trademark sweater anymore. I think I'm kind of going to miss Andy. I'm a little young to have enjoyed his music fully, but I do appreciate a good voice when I hear it.

And a fun side note... Andy was from Cincinnati. He was from the west side town of Cheviot and went to Western Hills High School.


No comments:

Post a Comment