Friday, September 14, 2012

Sveta-isms

Quite a few posts in this space have been dedicated to my granddaughter, Sveta. As is the case with any 4 year old, they are likely to say just about anything. Maybe I'll write a book of "Sveta-isms" some day.

A few days ago Tami was talking to Jessi on the phone. As most pre-schoolers do, Sveta was pestering her mom and interrupting the conversation. Jessi stopped and said, "Sveta, when mommy is on the phone, what do you need to do?" Expecting to hear something along the lines of, "I need to be quiet" or "I need to wait until you are finished", Sveta offered the following gem: "I NEED to say something!". Not as funny in print, but you get the idea... kids rarely say what we want them to say or what we expect them to say. Hats off to Art Linkletter. Kids do indeed say the darndest things!

And speaking of 4 year olds... yours truly was once 4 years old too. I remember my grandparents telling this story about me when I was around that age. They took me out to a fairly nice restaurant for dinner. On the table was a cloth napkin lined basket filled with individually wrapped fancy crackers. Remember? There were melba toasts, rye crackers, club crackers and other fancy schmancy crackers. My grandmother then proceeded to put all the crackers in her purse. When the waitress came to the table, I promptly asked, "Can you bring us some more crackers? My grandma put them all in her purse." Was Grandma embarrassed? To say the least! Little Mickey was a bit ornery I guess :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment